Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Blog 2

Not until page 57 did Gallagher finally identify his audience (English teachers), and it is not me (a math teacher). Until then, I kept getting offended by his agenda that seemed to champion some values and not others. I support our English and reading teachers in their efforts to flood children with books that are interesting and fun alongside the books that are academic. I also support them in asking students to read longer, more challenging books. Finally, I am glad when I see students carrying a book along with their textbooks because they are going to do sustained silent reading in a class.

However...

I want my students to do math during the summer, and I want my non-math colleagues to do real-world math throughout the day. Math skills are lost in the summer just like Gallagher says that reading skills are lost. Math is important in disciplines that are not specifically called math just like reading is important across the curriculum. I find myself feeling the need to defend my subject and its importance when I read Gallagher. He comes across to me as either arrogant, ignorant, or short-sighted, but maybe that's because he's talking to someone else, certainly not me. I don't dismiss Gallagher simply on the grounds that he's not talking to me, but I will keep that in mind in the remaining three chapters of the book.

I think it's fair to say that I'm much more interested in disciplinary literacy than I am in general reading. I want kids to be able to read and to know who's who in politics and government (Why doesn't Gallagher ask who is supposed to teach his students about al Qaeda?), but I also want to empower kids who could be good at math with the time and resources to develop those skills.

In my first school placement, I observed students in a computer lab on three different days. I saw 7th graders working through lessons keyed to their math standards on a program called "Ascend." The 8th graders were working on their standards using Ascend in the lab the next day. From a math teacher's perspective, I thought Ascend was of reasonable quality and user friendly. Another day, I was in the lab when a language arts class was working on their reading skills in a program called "Reading Plus." If any language arts or reading teachers read this blog, I would love to hear what you think of Reading Plus. I was shocked to see students working on reading speed in Reading Plus, especially when I realized that I could not keep up with some of them! I haven't yet read anything from Gallagher about reading speed, but I'll read with interest about its value if he has anything to say about it.

5 comments:

  1. Amen, Amen, Amen on the author's agenda!!!

    I agree with everything you said. I guess a little has to do with the fact I teach computers and accounting.

    I was curious as to the program that develops the reading speed of the students. Are they comprehending what they are speed reading??? Is that checked???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree!!!
    While reading is important everywhere, so is math... and it's a whole different world to read/understand/interpret numbers.
    to all the lovers of reading, I hope I do not step too hard on your toes, but I feel it is distinctly possible that the daily math use is a more important thing to learn than pleasure reading. While I do see the educational benefits of reading and developing vocabulary, math skills are important to EVERYONE; from the CEO's to the drug dealers, we all need math!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with you 100%, but when i read your statements i can help but think the author of readicide is talking about general reading not content specific reading. that said i also believe that students should do math over the summer but i can realistically see many kids doing that in the states.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer I really enjoyed your blog. I agree that he is looking at reading through the eyes of an English teacher. However there are many content specific books that kids read; like that book Dr. Webb showed us the one the girl from growing pains wrote (danica Patrick, i think). anyway without reading most students will not develop those critical thinking skills they need in math, science, and social studies. you cannot complete a word problem in math or an actual real life math problem without being able to think critically about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve, the comprehension was checked after speed reading, but I didn't pay close enough attention to find out whether the program slowed down or not if they answered the questions incorrectly. Maybe I should say that I couldn't keep up with the speed enough to be able to know if the students answered the questions correctly. It really was surprising to me how fast some kids' screens were moving. Maybe that's been my problem with reading all along: I'm slow!

    ReplyDelete